There is a campground and RV park at the south east corner of Leduc.
The city of Leduc's fame is based on a single significant episode in the history of Alberta, namely the Leduc oil strike. It took place on February 13th, 1947, at what was shortly thereafter designated as Leduc #1 oil well near the town which up until then had enjoyed a quiet existence since its establishment in 1899. The discovery brought Alberta into the oil boom times which have strongly influenced the history and development of the province. Visitors to Leduc can see indoor and outdoor displays, models and murals at the Canadian Petroleum Interpretive Centre which is at the site of the original well.
Local legend offers this explanation for the name. In 1890, as part of the process of setting up a telegraph office, a settler needed to assign a name to the new centre and hit upon the idea of naming it after the first person who came in the door of the new telegraph office. That person was Father Hippolyte Leduc, a well-known local priest. Originally, the telegraph office and a railway stop were the main features of the town, but slow steady growth continued until the boom came.
Leduc's setting and history have allowed for the development of museums, gardens, parks and natural areas. Telford Lake which is named for Robert Telford who, in 1899, bought land near that same lake, is a popular local recreation destination. It is under further development by a committee of the town council whose members are mindful of the need to preserve and protect its natural features as a bird and wildlife area and boating site. The Alberta Heritage Exposition Park features displays of artefacts used by Alberta pioneers. The Doctor Woods House Museum is the restored dwelling of a once-local physician and has tours and a monthly tea put on by volunteers. The Stone Barn Garden is a part of Leduc's cultural district and is a landscaped setting for an historic barn which is a rebuilt replica of the first dairy barn in the area.
- Canadian Petroleum Interpretive Centre
- Doctor Woods House Museum
- many parks and natural areas
- cycling and footpath system linking parks and neighbourhoods
- Alberta Heritage Exposition Park
- The Stone Barn Garden
- Telford Lake, a local recreation destination