Nanaimo, British Columbia
There is one campground and RV park in Nanaimo and a good selection in the surrounding area.
Ideally located 55 km west of Vancouver (admittedly across a stretch of water), Nanaimo is near to many island attractions, with Tofino, Port Alberni and Rathtrevor Provincial Park among them. Passage to the Gulf Islands is available from here. Nanaimo is fondly named the 'Hub, Tub and Pub City', alluding, in turn, to its hub-style street arrangements, its bathtub racing status and its numerous pubs. You can explore the Old City Quarter, a revitalized heritage area with shops, businesses and restaurants. Nanaimo's regional museum provides colourful depictions of the historical past. Such features as these, in combination with the moderate maritime climate, help draw tourists to this port city.
- Old City Quarter
- Petroglyph Provincial Park
- Rathtrevor Provincial Park
- Nanaimo Marine Festival and Bathtub Race in July
- Harbourside Walkway, a 4.4 km waterfront walk
- Hudson's Bay Bastion, built in 1852
- Georgia Park, with its artificially-created tidal pool and native artefacts
- Morrell Nature Sanctuary
- many, many malls