Prince George, British Columbia
There are a number of campgrounds and RV parks in the Prince George area.
Prince George was originally named by the traders of the North West Company seemingly for then-Prince George III, as Fort George. The first nation living there in earlier centuries is known as the Lheidli T'enneh First Nation, whose name means people of the confluence, in recognition of the confluence of the Fraser and Nechako Rivers at this location.
The Grand Trunk Railway, which came into the region, bringing business and wealth, re-dubbed the new centre as Prince George. Although the chosen name was contested, due to the worries of local businessmen about its exact location and the confusion over several royal Georges, the name was officially registered in 1913. In more recent years, a new explanation with a more recent royal George at its centre, has been put forth.
Due to its geographical features, Prince George is comprised of several distinct areas, which have resulted in concentrations of residential, downtown and commercial building. There is a central bowl, a former glacial melt lake, whose banks are steep and riddled with valleys and canyons formed by the retreating water, and creating a terraced effect, known as cutbanks.
- adventure tours for river rafting, kayaking, hiking, biking
- wildlife viewing
- scenic drives
- provincial parks, such Crooked River, Eskers, Khutzeymateen/K'tzim a Dene Grizzly Bear Sanctuary, Purden Lake and West lake
- two local golf courses, others within the district
- local culture in the form of symphony, museums, galleries, theatre, concerts and night clubs
- Fort George Park
- Hubble Homestead
- Prince George Observatory